Directly from the Apple website, a tip which helped me awaken my iPod without having to wait until the battery died… Doesn’t happen often, but hard to know what to do if it does. Here’s a tip from the Apple website (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705) if your ipod freezes:
To reset an iPod with a Click Wheel, including:
• Fifth Generation iPod (also known as iPod with video)
• iPod nano (Second Generation)
• iPod nano
• iPod with color display (iPod photo)
• iPod (Click Wheel)
• iPod mini
• iPod mini (Second Generation)
1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
2. Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.
Tip: If you are having difficulty resetting your iPod, set it on a flat surface. Make sure the finger pressing the Select button is not touching any part of the click wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Menu button toward the outside of the click wheel, and not near the center.
If the above steps did not work, try connecting iPod to a power adapter and plug the power adapter into an electrical outlet, or connect iPod to your computer. Make sure the computer is turned on and isn’t set to go to sleep.